VICTORIA, BC – The Victoria Book Prize Society is pleased to announce the shortlists for the 2023 City of Victoria Book Prize and City of Victoria Children’s Book Prize, featuring an assortment of books for readers of all ages and interests. On your mark, get set, read!
The $5,000 City of Victoria Butler Book Prize, now in its 20th year, is awarded to a Greater Victoria author for the best book published in the categories of fiction, non-fiction or poetry. The five finalists are:
• Maleea Acker for Hesitating Once to Feel Glory (Nightwood Editions)
• Robert Amos for E.J. Hughes: Canadian War Artist (Touchwood Editions)
• Mary Bomford for Red Dust and Cicada Songs (Caitlin Press)
• Pauline Holdstock for Confessions with Keith (Biblioasis)
• Katłįà (Catherine) Lafferty for This House Is Not a Home (Roseway Publishing)
The $5,000 City of Victoria Children’s Book Prize, in its 16th year, is awarded to a Greater Victoria author or illustrator for the best children’s book. The three finalists are:
• Sara Cassidy for Union (Orca Book Publishers)
• Monique Gray Smith for I Hope / nipakosêyimon (Orca Book Publishers)
• Julie McLaughlin (illustration) for Little Pine Cone: Wild Fires and the Natural World (Orca Book Publishers)
The finalists were selected by an independent jury, comprised of representatives from the local literary arts community, from among books published between April 2022 and March 2023.
The winners will be announced at the gala event, hosted by CBC Radio’s Kathryn Marlow, at the Union Club of British Columbia on Wednesday October 11 at 7:30 p.m. (doors open at 7 p.m.) Tickets are $25 and can be purchased online at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2023-victoria-book-prizes-gala-tickets-713755731607?aff=oddtdtcreator
Founded in 2004, the City of Victoria Butler Book Prize is a partnership between the City of Victoria and Brian Butler of Butler Brothers Supplies. The City of Victoria Children’s Book Prize recognizes and celebrates exceptional children’s and youth literature in our community. The late Mel Bolen of Bolen Books established the Children’s Book Prize in 2008. Additional sponsors include Munro’s Books, Friesens Corporation, Greater Victoria Public Library, Russell Books, CBC Radio, Island Blue Print, Magnolia Hotel & Spa, Chateau Victoria Hotel & Suites and the Union Club of British Columbia.
The Victoria Book Prize Society establishes policy and criteria for the prizes, administers the competition and appoints the juries.